Learn more about Orinda’s history, annual performance, and strategic directions.
Orinda USD History
When asked why they moved to Orinda, most people respond: “the schools.” Good public schools are a long-standing part of Orinda’s history, since the mid-1800s.
The first school in Orinda, called the Moraga School because it was located on the property of Joe Moraga, was built in 1861. This school was located near the intersection of Moraga Way and Glorietta Blvd. In 1864, Moraga School had 20 students. At that time, Moraga School paid a teacher $40 for two months instruction. This school existed for sixty years.
Read the Article
Orinda USD Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP)
District Mission: Building on a tradition of educational excellence and strong community support, we will inspire and challenge each student through strong academics and continuously improving programs that will develop the character and abilities needed to shape an ever-changing world.
District Profile: The Orinda Union School District is comprised of four elementary schools (TK-5) and one middle school (6-8) with a total district wide student enrollment of 2,536 students as of the 2016-17 October 2016 Census Day. There are 144 certificated teachers in the district. A total of 100% of our classroom teachers are highly qualified and fully certificated with completed SDAIE/CLAD credentials. The average daily attendance rate is 96.09% as of the 2016-17 P-2 Attendance Report.
Read the Plan
Orinda USD Strategic Directions
- Inspire Innovators and Problem Solvers
- Create Resourceful Collaborators and Critical Thinkers
- Cultivate Ethical and Respectful Citizens
- Nurture Emotional, Social, and Physical Well-Being